Sunday, February 17, 2008

Professional No-Limit Hold 'em: Volume 1 - Book Review

Professional No-Limit Hold 'em: Volume 1 by Ed Miller, Matt Flynn and Sunny Mehta is truly a great change of pace for poker books. Published in July of 2007 it touches on the next big craze started by High Stakes Poker on GSN. The transition from No Limit Hold Em tournaments to cash games.

This is the first advanced No Limit Hold Em book that I have read and it is a masterful book that literally taught me how to think better about how I approach a hand in poker. It immediately shored up some unforeseen leaks in my game and prepares me for the higher stakes when I eventually reach them.

So what's so great about this book? Well I can't post it all here, especially since this is merely a review of the book. It's a book where all the theory and ideas that are brewed up in the mad scientist labs of two plus two forums are brought together. This books number one goal is to teach us how to plan our hands and to see a hard decision coming before it even arrives and to either avoid it or to embrace it. And if we embrace the hard decision it teaches us to hit it with a game plan that will allow us to spend more time calculating our odds and focusing on our tells because if planned correctly we should have a very polar decision to make and it will come down to the math and the tells to make the decision.

This book was so good that I plan on illustrating the concepts within my blog in the near future. It has been so good that I will revise some old blog posts regarding my various strategies and posts as the processes and ideas in this book will help me refine the strategies I've already held.

So who do I recommend this book to? Anyone serious about becoming a good No Limit Hold Em player and anyone tired of the run of the mill Hold Em books out there. This book assumes you already know about starting hand strategies, and the basics of odds. So this book isn't for complete beginners, but I suggest to complete beginners you should first read Super/System 2, then get this book and practice, practice, practice.

If you wish to purchase this book, you can get it here from Amazon. Trust me it's well worth the money.

Upcoming books I can't wait to get my hands on: Harrington on Cash Games Volume 1 and Harrington on Cash Games Volume 2.

No comments: